1013 Xperiment - About the Philippines and more

Wednesday, December 29, 2004

Mano Po 3- the review

Just watched Mano Po 3, an entry to the 2004 Metro Manila Film Festival – my first time to watch a Mano Po movie.

Its opening a window of understanding towards Filipino Chinese gets high points from me. It presents some of the already well known stereotypes of this ethnic group (?) but it also sheds new light about Filipino- Chinese culture. It was filmed in three countries, The Philippines, China and Thailand, something that movie makers should do more so that those Filipinos who can’t stand a second of Discovery Channel can at least see what it is outside their little town.

Cinematography is pretty good while the soundtrack hasn’t improved since 1994. The Vilma- Boyet de Leon tamdem reminds one of their movies back in the 80’s. The cast- I wouldn’t call powerhouse but satisfactory- ‘face value”, acting, etc. Sheryl Cruz… ah Sheryl is more beautiful than ever but her years away from showbiz has done nothing to soften he OA-ness (over acting). Jay Manalo was believable as a middle-aged Chinese businessman although his youth still shines through at times. I heard that he gained weight on purpose for this movie.

What I like most about the movie is… well, the opening part with the credits. Somehow, I tend to judge a movie by the beauty and advanced-ness of its opening credits. If the director/ film maker is concerned even about the opening credits, the for sure he’ll be damn meticulous with the rest of the movie. I first used this criteria on the movie poster. I mean, if they are willing to invest on a good publicity stunt – that is because they are sure that there is a good movie to see behind that poster. Now, ditto to the opening credits.

One other thing that I noticed during the movie is the extensive use of product placement. I won’t bitch about it. I think it is about time they did it. I used to hate it when they’d turn beer bottles away from the camera so that the brand name won’t be seen when it is obviously a San Miguel. That was pure hypocrisy. At least now, the scenes look real and they’re making money off it. I didn’t expect it to be a annoying though. Yes it gets annoying at times. “You know, I really am happy with the way Philam Life Insurance is treating me” is so obvious. But it is the lesser evil.

I still have to watch the other movies and decide which one I like the best. But I am looking forward to “ Panaghoy sa Suba” . A movie made entirely in Visayan. This will be a feast for the cultural senses for sure.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home